Without a proper technique for cleaning wood furniture, homeowners often struggle with dealing with all the grime and dirt that accumulate over time on the wood surfaces in their homes.
Spring is almost upon us. This means that you’ll have to get down to maintaining your upholstered furniture and disinfecting all surfaces against COVID-19 if you want your home to be fresh and healthy all year round.
Luckily, you can rely on the finest Yountville house cleaners to help out with your chores, either by taking care of them swiftly and expertly or sharing some useful advice on cleaning wood surfaces. Keep reading to discover some amazing tips!
How do you remove grime from wood furniture?
Removing grime and dirt from wooden surfaces can be a challenge if you don’t use the right products and techniques. For great results, follow these steps:
- Use a damp clean microfiber cloth to wipe down the furniture. Just make sure not to leave the wood surface wet for too long by wiping it once again with a dry cloth.
- For sticky spots and grime, use a bit of dish soap with some water on a microfiber cloth. Just make sure to first test this method on a small, not easily visible area to make sure the finish doesn’t get damaged.
- If the dish soap doesn’t do the trick, you can try using mineral spirits on the sticky area. Add a tiny bit on a clean cloth and gently rub the spot. Just make sure to work in a ventilated room.
How can I make my wooden furniture shine?
You can give your wooden furniture a nice shine with a little bit of wax. The best way to do so is by adding some semi-solid wax on a cheesecloth and applying it onto the wood surfaces. Let the wax sit for several minutes and then use a clean cloth to buff it in.
How do you clean finished wood?
Not sure how to polish different types of wood finishes? Use the following tips for the best results:
- Paint: use dishwashing liquid on a microfiber cloth to remove grease and grime and shine up the surfaces.
- Veneer: To prevent thin varnish from bubbling up, be very careful when using water on the veneer. Damp dusting is recommended for unsealed wood, while you may use dish soap on synthetic coating.
- Wax: Avoid using dishwashing detergent on wax. Instead, try using soapflakes or purchase a soapy wood cleaning agent. Make sure to dry off the surface with a clean cloth.
- Varnished, stained, and unsealed wood: damp dusting is recommended. Refrain from using too much water and deal with sticky spots with water and a couple of drops of dish soap on a clean cloth.
Can vinegar damage wood?
Vinegar is a great cleaning agent for a wide variety of surfaces. Unfortunately, it’s not the best option when it comes to cleaning wooden furniture. Due to its acidic nature, vinegar may also leave water warks on your wood and damage different kinds of finishes. For instance, you should never use vinegar on waxed wood as it will dissolve the wax. However, you may use vinegar if you wish to remove a coat of wax from a wooden surface.
Rely on the leading Yountville house cleaners
Maintaining wood furniture is no easy task, especially if you work full-time and have a rich social life. While you may not be able to relax at Lake Hennessey, why not let seasoned cleaning pros help keep your home clean during the coronavirus outbreak?
At Valencia Pro Cleaning Agency, we can match you with the best cleaning experts around and take your mind off of cleaning. Simply give us a call and enjoy a spotless home without lifting a finger!